I spoke with a man today who is really just supposed to be one of my supervisors, but he took time out to teach me his thoughts of God.
The most important thing I spoke with him about was love. Yeah, that's no different than any other sermon, teaching, etc., right? But it keeps getting reworked through others' perspectives in order for me to grasp the necessity of living out this word, "love."
Many times I am frustrated with my own spiritual advances, juxtaposing them with the advances of those who are important in my life. It sucks. I have a selfish desire for everyone to be on the same track as me, a.k.a. "why can't you see it?"
Love is not selfish.
This man talked to me about 1 Corinthians 12 & 13. Chapter 12 begins with explicating spiritual gifts: prophecy, speaking in tongues, faith, etc. I believe in these. Many of the important people in my life do not. Which brings me to my next point found in Chapter 13: love. Whether or not these people understand/believe/doubt these gifts that I am discovering, love them. However hard and uncomfortable it may be, love them.
He related his own experience with his wife to the biblical story of the faithful wife with an unbelieving husband. How did she show the life with Christ to him? By her actions. No nagging. No wishing it weren't so. No frustration. No selfishness. She trusted in God to work in his own time. And so did this man with his wife. God proved himself.
The parallel between this biblical story and my relationship with my Dad is perfect. I know I need to be more obedient to him, whether I think it's pointless or not, and love him for who he is. For if I act otherwise, I make Christ unattractive.
Who knew God was in Amarillo? Hmm...I thought it was for sure Satan: waking to the smell of manure is an acquired pleasure, I guess!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dear Jenna,
I miss your mind. I can't wait until I can pick it over coffee again. January comes soon and with it our conversing reunion. I cannot wait.
Love and God bless,
Kate
Post a Comment